NO CONTROL OF YOUR WORKING CONDITIONS AND HOURS?
BOSS PUSHING YOU AROUND?
WANT TO JOIN THE IAMAW?
THE I.A.M. IS HERE TO HELP YOU!!!!!!
IAMAW (International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers) Northwest District Lodge 250
19005-94th Avenue Surrey, B.C. Tel: (604) 513-3883
If you are interested in joining Local 1857 or any other lodge of the International Association of Machinist and Aerospace Workers please contact our office. The phone number is 604- 513-3883. Our Business Representatives and office staff, will be happy to explain the many advantages of union membership and how you go about getting your workplace organized.
When it comes to the process of becoming organized, many workers do not know what is involved, what their rights are, or even how to get started. These ten steps are not offered as a final or exhaustive list of how the process works, but as a brief guide on how to get organized.
Prospective members should be aware that their right to Union representation is guaranteed under the law, and that it is illegal for a company to take action against an employee for seeking to form a Union or become organized.
The 10 Steps of the Certification Process are as follows:
- Initial contact with the Union results in a meeting between the employees seeking certification and the Union’s representatives.
- Employees sign Application For Membership cards. Please note that all Applications for Membership are treated in the strictest confidence – your employer will never see these cards! Further, the Union always seeks sufficient membership cards for certification (minimum 55%), in order for a workplace vote.
- The Machinists Union applies to the Labour Board for certification.
- A hearing is held at the Labour Board, where your Union will appear on your behalf.
- Assuming no valid objections are raised, the Labour Board will hold a vote for certification of a Union.
- The Union holds meetings with the employees to get proposals/demands for collective bargaining.
- Election of your Shop Steward and negotiating committee representative(s).
- Collective Bargaining sessions are held between the Company and the Union.
- Settlement of your Collective Agreement is always subject to ratification by a majority vote of the employees in the Bargaining Unit.
- Only upon ratification of a collective agreement does the Machinists Union begin collecting dues from its new members.
For information on how to join the IAM, contact Organizer Al Cyr at the address shown above, or drop us a line via email.